Friday, July 20, 2012

Benefits of fasting

Last year, in my 'Ramadan 1432' blogpost, I shared my perspective on the personal spiritual benefits of fasting. This year, I thought I would try something a bit different to usher in this special month, and have been busy reading up on the physiological/health benefits of fasting!

While I don't fast specifically for health reasons, as I realize some people do, I do get a sense of becoming physiologically recentred after the month. Certainly if there are any health benefits that result as a by-product of fasting, its an absolute bonus!

To quickly synthesize the articles I recently read, it looks as though intermittent fasting has been credited with:
  • encouraging weight loss
  • allowing the body to access fat deposits in the body, which results in embedded toxins (ex. bad cholesterol, etc) and waste being broken down and flushed out of the system (at a higher incidence)
  • giving your digestive track a bit of a break since it is used to functioning all day, everyday, and redirecting energy towards your immune system
  • protecting your brain from degenerative illnesses
Whether any of the above actually occurs or not, I think most people that practice intermittent fasting would testify to its seeming health benefits!

Just want to close off with a saying from the blessed Prophet (pbuh)... "The children of Adam fill no vessel worse than their stomach. Sufficient for him is a few morsels to keep his back straight. If he must eat more, then a third should be for his food, a third for his drink, and a third left for air." (Sunan al-TirmidhĂ®).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...